Fall Semester 2021

PDF Version

Appeals Procedures

A student who engages in academic misconduct may be subject to academic sanctions including but not limited to a grade reduction, failing grade, probation, suspension or dismissal from the program or the University, or revocation of the student’s degree or certificate. However, if the student believes that academic sanction given by the faculty member is arbitrary or capricious, they should discuss the academic sanction with the faculty member and attempt to resolve the disagreement. If the student and faculty member are unable to resolve the disagreement, the student may appeal the academic sanction to the Academic Appeals and Misconduct Committee in the college. The student must submit their appeal to the college’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

A student who believes that an academic action taken in connection with academic performance requirements is arbitrary or capricious should discuss the academic action with the involved faculty member and attempt to resolve the disagreement. If unable to resolve the disagreement, the student may appeal the action to the department chair. If the student or the faculty member disagree with the department chair’s decision, they could appeal the decision to the Academic Appeals and Misconduct Committee by submitting their appeal to the college’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Please refer to Policy 6-400: Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities for more details especially the timeline of the appeals process.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

The University of Utah seeks to provide equal access to its programs, services, and activities for people with disabilities. If you need accommodations in a class, reasonable prior notice needs to be given to the instructor and to the Center for Disability Services, 162 Olpin Union, 581-5020 (V/TDD) to discuss arrangements for accommodations. All written information in a course can be made available in alternative format with prior notification to the Center for Disability Services.

Adding Classes-Full Term

Please read carefully: All classes must be added within 10 academic days of the beginning of the semester (deadline: Fri., Sept. 3, 2021). Late adds will be allowed Aug. 4 – Sept. 13th requiring only the instructor’s signature. Any request to add a class after Sept. 13th will require signatures from the instructor, department chair, and Associate Dean, and need to be accompanied by a petition letter to the Dean’s Office.


Taking Classes for CR/NC

***Before you elect to take a class CR/NC you should check with your Advisor. Core classes used to compute your Engineering GPA need letter grades.

Withdrawal Procedures

See the Class Schedule or web for more details ** Please note the difference between the terms “drop” and “withdraw”. Drop implies that the student will not be held financially responsible and the class will not be listed on the transcript. Withdraw means that a “W” will appear on the student’s transcript and tuition will be charged. **

Drop Period (Full Term Classes)– No Penalty
Students may DROP full term classes without penalty or permission during the FIRST TEN academic days of the term (Friday, September 3, 2021).

Withdrawal from Full Term Length Classes
Students may WITHDRAW from full term classes without petition through Friday, October 22, 2021. Beginning September 4 until October 22, a “W” will appear on the transcript AND tuition will be charged. Refer to Class Schedule, Tuition and Fees for tuition information.

Drop/Withdrawal from Session I & Session II
See the web page for details:

Withdrawals for term length classes after October 22 will only be granted due to compelling, non-academic emergencies. A petition and supporting documentation must be submitted to the Dean’s Office. Please email for more info. Petitions must be received before the last day of classes (Dec. 9, 2021).

Repeating Courses

When a College of Engineering class is taken more than once, only the grade for the second attempt is counted. Grades of W, I, or V on the student’s record count as having taken the class. Departments enforce these guidelines for other courses as well (e.g., math, physics biology, chemistry). Attempts of courses taken at transfer institutions count as one attempt. This means a student may take the course only one time at the University of Utah. Courses taken at the University of Utah may not be taken a second time at another institution. If a second attempt is needed, it must be at the University of Utah.

Please work with your department advisor to determine the value of repeating courses. Students should note that anyone who takes a required class twice and does not have a satisfactory grade the second time may not be able to graduate. It is the responsibility of the student to work with the department of their major to determine how this policy applies in extenuating circumstances.

Important Safety Information

The University of Utah values the safety of all campus community members. To report suspicious activity or to request a courtesy escort, call campus police at 801-585-2677. You will receive important emergency alerts and safety messages regarding campus safety via text message. For more information regarding safety and to view available training resources, including helpful videos, visit

If you are experiencing interpersonal violence, sexual assault, domestic violence, and/or stalking, please report to one of the resources below. Here are additional sources of support and help:

Resource Phone # Hours Affiliation
McCluskey Center for Violence Prevention TBD TBD University
Center for Student Wellness, Victim Survivor Advocate 801-581-7776 8-5 University
Office of Equal Opportunity 801-581-8363 9-5 University
University Department of Public Safety 801-585-2677 24hrs University
University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute 801-587-3000 24hrs University
Utah Domestic Violence Coalition 800-897-5465 24hrs State
Rape Recovery Center 24-hour Crisis Line 801-467-7273 24hrs State
Domestic Violence Link Line 800-897-5465 24hrs State
Stalking Helpline 800-621-4673 24hrs State
Rape Recovery Center Crisis Line 801-467-7272 24hrs State


Mandatory reporters are university employees, including students in paid leadership positions, who are required to report sexual misconduct to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action per university regulations. Examples of mandatory reporters include:

    • Professors and other faculty
    • Administration and staff (non-mental health)
    • Resident advisors
    • Student employees
    • Campus police or campus security officials
    • Athletic coaches/assistants