Mechanical engineering professor Bruce K. Gale has been named a 2014 Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Distinguished Mentor by the University of Utah Graduate School. Gale will be recognized during the 2014 College of Engineering convocation ceremony on May 2.

The $2,500 award recognizes faculty for effectively guiding students and fellows through professional and educational training. Gale is one of three award recipients this year, along with Matthew Mulvey (pathology) and Timothy W. Smith (psychology).

Engineering graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, alumni and colleagues nominated Gale for the honor, citing his devotion, appreciation for diversity and ability to individually tailor guidance.

“I am very honored and grateful to be nominated,” says Gale. “I am overwhelmed that so many thought so highly of my efforts, as there are many excellent mentors within the College of Engineering,” says Gale.

Gale was praised for his accessibility despite holding several university leadership positions, including director of the State of Utah Center of Excellence for Biomedical Microfluidics. He was also lauded for creating a supportive environment through weekly meetings that enable student researchers to present ideas and discuss barriers.

“Mentoring has helped me recognize the gifts and talents of many students, and that every student can make a contribution to science and engineering,” says Gale. “Recognition should also go to my great students and postdocs who make mentoring easy for me. I better appreciate the uniqueness and value of many more people, approaches and cultures.”

To receive the award, a mentor must have a record of guiding students to degree completion. Gale has graduated 13 Ph.D. and 27 M.S. students, advised six postdoctoral researchers and mentored dozens of undergraduates. He currently advises 11 Ph.D. and two M.S. students.

Learn more about this year’s recipients